Monday, April 16, 2007

Can I make a career shift in a one year MBA program?

A student in the recent past was passionate about a job with a finance company. He applied for 100 companies through campus but did not get short-listed even for one. Obviously, he was frustrated, down and dispirited. He thought about undivided attention in fin classes, burnt mid-night oil with fin books and scratched head to solve fin assignments. He used to eat fin, breathe fin and talk fin. And now, no company wants to talk to him. What did he do? Did he take a job in the next company that came by? No. He wrote to the director of a company he liked. As luck would have it, the senior folks in the firm were willing to talk. They were impressed by the fin funda flow he gave. He was offered a job but with a lower pay. He was in the last percentile of the class to be placed. In the first year at job, he struggled to pay his bills. The more he struggled, the more he worked hard. In the next year, his team made a billion dollars in profit. His boss gave fifty million from that and gave it to six people to divide equally. He was one of them!

This is not a story but a true case study. Why am I saying this? It is because of the infinite discussions on various bulletin boards and groups about a career change through a one year program – most of them believing that it is not possible. Though the placement statistics do not support me, people I know and who did make a career shift will. Some might say this is just might be an outlier. I can quote another case study of a guy who got into a global Real Estate company. He did not even buy a house, forget about having a real estate experience. I have a friend who dreamt all 11 months to join a consulting firm. He realized it late (3 months after passing out from bschool), but he did achieve it. I can quote another example of a person who is working for a media company after doing five years of auditing. I can quote examples of career shifts into any field you give me, without batting an eyelid.

What is required to make a career shift? There is only one thing – Full Fledged devotion! When people enter the campus, each one is with a dream. Some, dreamt over months and some over the last days of the application process. But everyone has a dream. Once into the campus, they start listening to other peoples dreams and start believing that other’s dream is their dream forgetting that they had a dream of their own that they dreamt. (long sentence I know). You might say that I am harsh on the intellectuals who rank among the top 1% of the universe. But, the fact is, students are confused. It is only very few of them, who have the nerves of steel.

Don’t you think 365 days are enough to select the industry you want to work with, involve with clubs with members working towards the same goal, conducts events that reiterate your interest and talk to business leaders, alumni & professors about the same? You bet!

If this seems a simple thing to do, why don’t students do it. I would say their basis of selection itself is incorrect. You want to get into real estate not because you like Donald Trump or a real estate stock that was a multi-bagger in equity markets. You want to get into media not because the salaries have increased multi-fold over the last couple of years. You don’t decide to work for a beer company because you drink.
Infact, it is easy to find one’s interests. If I watch business news, read analyst reports, listen to stock tips, invest in stock market and gets pleasure working with financial models, I would work for a stock broking house. If I had good grades, I don’t mind slogging for a minimum of couple of years and get a kick from dealing with CXO level people, I would go for consulting. If I like daily, weekly and monthly targets, desire to play against competition on almost a daily basis and wants to actively manage people under me, I would go into Retail.

The point is this: If you want something hard enough you will strive hard for it. In a short term, you may sacrifice compensation or location or personal life and more, but you will be a satisfied & successful person! Career Change in a one year program is possible. It depends on where, why and how you want to do it.

8 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to let you know that your blogs are uplifting, you guyz manage to encourage without preaching and thts why i visit here.

I think the greatest gift is giving a man strength to pursue his dreams - please keep the good work going. - Thanks R.S

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Vinit Garg said...

Hi,
I have been a regular follower of your blog. However, it seems it has not picked up heat for current admission process.

As a charity to oldies following you, would you mind Keyborad your thoughts on aspects to consider for re-applicants.

Vinit Garg :)

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Maverick_Sandip said...

Nice article.
I am working in IT field since last 4 years. I love traveling, treking, visiting new places.Can you suggest any job profile where I can travel various places and earn at the same time.

I am thinking of doing 1 year MBA for career shift. What do you suggest?

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous best management institute in mp said...

I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I'll love to read your next post too.

Regards
best management institute in mp

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Manoj Vyas said...

Your post is well appreciated and goes all long way helping people. I which i can be part of this. will definitely become a constant visitor to your blog.

courses in MBA

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger kuldeep.kalonia said...

Thanking you,
Your blog is very informative for us. And this is very genuine information about b school India. Want to know more about Professional Courses.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rally adore reading your blog posts, the way you uses words to express your way is just smashing.This blog as usual was educational and very informative for me.Thanks for sharing.


B school admission

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

outsourcingall.com "Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.
This paragraph gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging, Thanks you. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
Seo training
outsourcing training in dhaka
Best Website Development and Design Company in Bangladesh
free outsourcing
graphic design training
digital marketing training
affiliate marketing training
freelance training
outsourcing training in bangladesh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Priceline Travel
Priceline
__