Tuesday, September 05, 2006

ISB Vs IIM part 2...

Voooww!! I feel like I am ages behind in this discussion. Just yesterday i googled up IIM Vs ISB and I had like hajaar new links thrown up on my face :) ..looks like its not exactly a new topic and has been discussed, rat holed, beaten to death and what not !! But hey isnt this really cool ...ISB is just 5 years old and there are heated discussions comparing it to IIMs ( I dont know when each of them were established but I know for sure they were there even before I was born ) hmmmm... its very very good news for ISB and I am proud of it (ok ok..so what if my other team members from IIM also own this blog but hey I am allowed to get senti about my school once in a while ;))

So here are my view points on this discussion. You can go dig more here, here or here...

Q: How many years of experience do you have ? Are you looking for a mid management career after MBA.
A : If its >3 years, go for ISB, if its <2 is ="2">

Q: Are you looking for a shift in your career line?
A: I am not sure how many will agree but I personally think that if this is true - go for the IIMs. Of course there have been many from my batch who did manage to shift careers but in my mind - a) A 11 mths course is not good enough to equip you enough to join a mid management level in a new career path b) Again you might need to compromise on the level and the salary that you will be offered cause you will be treated almost like a fresh hire c) I dont know - its like going all over it again ....
That said many folks do manage to do this and that too comfortably but they are more of exceptions to the rule and I would definitely hold this point of view of mine

Q: Are you looking for an indepth learning or do you think you are kind of there but want to acquire some special skills and understanding to complement your self
A: If you need to dig deep - go to IIMs. Not to say that ISB doesnt provide good stuff...the profs there absolutely ROCK bigtime and the quality of education is very good but u know what..you have to digest everything just VERY quickly. ok - chew this...when me and my friend started out with the corp fin course together (me @ISB and he@ IIM) and while he had not yet had his med term, I had already finished my end term and moved on to the next term. Get what I mean ?

Q:. How are you placed in your personal life?
A: Hmmm..so this one might not be applicable to everyone but it did to me. I in no way wanted to be away from my married life for more than a year. I wanted to get back ..move on ..plan a family and so on and on...I had my 4 years of work ex when I went to ISB so one year away from home and work was just soo ideal.

So here are my two cents. Feel free to write in your comments and thoughts...


Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Vinit Garg said...

Hi ,
Quite an informative blog enriched with real time experiences. Congratulations for the great effort.I would look forward to read more on this blog.

Via means of this comment, i will also like to suggest some new topics ,your insight about the same will allay my,along with many others, apprehensions and leave everyone with a better understanding.

How significant is GMAT score in ISB.Is it that one has to fall within in a bandwidth and say people with score of 680-730 are treated kind of equal !!! Request your inputs for the same.

Vinit Garg.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Bschool Admit (www.bschool-admit.com) said...

Thanks Vinit. The next topic would definitely on GMAT scores.
We welcome suggestions on the topics that you would want to read on

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
thanks for the info and i have few doubts in my mind, I am from defence background(Indian Navy)and accornding to your questions ofcourse i am shifting my career but as of now i am with 5yrs of work exp. and i want to go for ISB, so what u can suggest me in appearing and great ahead.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Bschool Admit (www.bschool-admit.com) said...

Hi,

ISB would definitely be a better choice for you.
a) Cause you come from a diverse background. You stand a good chance of getting an admit with this background
b) The companies that come for placement at ISB come with roles and mindsets to accept people from different backgrounds
c) 5 years of work ex is definitely what ISB would want and is a little too much for IIM

We have had people in our batches from Army background and they do very well at ISB both in terms of their own career progressions as well as the contributions that they make to the class experience for others.

So go ahead - prepare your essays well with a good story and crack your gmat.

All the best and do let us know if we can be of any help!!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Sachin Sathe said...

Hi,

In this thing of comparing ISB vs IIMs, would you like to comment on the fee structure of ISB? Well, paying 14 lakh tuition fee + add ons for stay/food/laptop is surely not a cake walk. All the infrastructure, faculty and all is understood, but isnt this amount way too on the higher side? Surely they have associations with LBS et al but it surely is not LBS-India or Kellog-India ! Your comments please.

Sachin Sathe

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Bschool Admit (www.bschool-admit.com) said...

Hi Sachin,

Interesting thoughts!:-) Yes you are right in our differentiation we should have brought the fee aspect also.
That said, generally in our experience we havent seen people making choices of IIM Vs ISB JUST keeping the fee in mind. Thats because other things like the work ex, the different methodologies the schools operate on etc come into play.
Whether the fee is way too high, justified or not is not something that we can comment on. Its a decision taken by ISB.

Surely it is not LBS India and in a way shouldnt be, ISB should and does have its own standing.

I think what they are providing in India is a little unique offering which was not heard of till recently in Indian schools and at a comparatively lower cost as compared to schools who provide this outside of India.

That said, I guess every applicant has to make an informed choice and also keep this aspect in mind while choosing their schools.

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey..i've just finished my engg from bits pilani and am workin with symantec..i was planning on applying to ISB after two yrs...wud u say that is enough? plus i have been brought up in moscw,russia and speak russian fluently..(in relation to diverse backgrounds :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Priceline Travel
Priceline
__